Saturday, March 12, 2011

Divine Potential

Have you ever pushed yourself farther than you thought you could go? And then recognized the difference it's made in your life? As children of God, we all have divine potential within us, potential to become like Him.We are heirs to His kingdom. (Romans 8:16-17) Sometimes it's hard to see that potential. We become blinded by our own insecurities, stubborness, doubt and fear. But as our Heavenly Father, God can see us for who we really are and what we can become. And He wants us to find that whithin ourselves. However, recognizing our potential doesn't come easily; it takes work. And we can only do it with faith. I'll share a small example. As my mission is coming to an end, I've reflected a lot on how I've reached this point in my life. Growing up, I was pretty shy and quiet. I didn't really enjoy meeting new people or talking to strangers. But I had a testimony of the gospel and I had a desire to share it with others. As I was getting older, I knew that God wanted me to serve a mission. It was a strong feeling that I had, and I couldn't deny it. I struggled with it at times. I remember thinking, "I'm too shy. I can't walk up to random people and start a conversation. I don't know enough about the gospel." But I knew it was the Lord's plan for me and I trusted in Him. So I took a leap of faith and started filling out my mission papers. Four months later, I was on a plane to western New York. Although I knew the Lord would help me, things didn't come easily. It was a gradual process. I still struggled. I had a hard time getting myself to talk to people on the streets. And when I would talk to people about the gospel, I struggled for the words to say. I still asked myself, "Can I really do this?" But I kept praying and moving forward. With the Lord's help, I have slowly begun to find that potential within myself. I'm still far from perfect and I know I still have a lot of room to grow. But I have learned so much about the gospel and I've found that hidden confidence within me. The Lord has used me as an instrument in His hands to help others find the truth. And I'm grateful that He pushed me so much further than I ever would have gone on my own, so I could catch a glimpse of my divine potential.

I know there are so many of you out there with inspiring stories. So if any of you would like to share your experiences, times when you've had faith to stretch yourself and find your potential, please post them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment